Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Juggler Hat

I know I started this blog telling you this wasn't about magic tricks, but ETs really do need to know the delicate art of juggling. I was sitting in on a software sales pitch the other day when the conversation led to some of the challenges tech departments face. One of the presenters commented that schools need to have more technology personnel in place to help teachers make the adjustment. More specifically, he thought we needed people that go from school to school helping out where they can. Our technology leader commented that we actually had a designated person IN each school to help out and that this arrangement worked out better for a school division that covers so much geography. He was quick to disagree with her and explained that in-house technology leaders tend to get burnt out very quickly because everyone comes to them with the expectation that they will know how to fix everything. He also commented that a lot of people come to look at the technology leader as a computer fixer instead of a leader...so much so that people don't even try to troubleshoot on their own; they just go to the tech leader as soon as there is a problem.

I'm not going to lie, what he said kind of freaked me out! I'm not even in that position this year and already people seek me out to help them figure out how to change templates on PowerPoint, troubleshoot error messages, and hook up the projectors. In the TIL position next year, I am expected to do most of the things listed in the original hat box post as well as lead computer classes for K-6 students. And that only takes up 50% of my contract! The other half of my time will be spent teaching French classes. Add into the mix the extracurricular expectation, completing my master's degree, and being the community cake lady, and suddenly I'm infinitely aware of the number of balls I've got up in the air. The same rings true of most ETs, I'm sure! So what can we do to make sure all those balls STAY in the air and don't come crashing down into a fiery pit of burn out?!

I've got some ideas that I'd like to try like some very simple instructions to FAQs, picture models of projector hook ups, a troubleshooting process, etc. I always encourage my students to pay attention when others ask questions because they just might learn something they didn't know they needed. Maybe if I take that same philosophy and apply it to working with teachers, I can create more 'experts' to help out. The more people working together on juggling the balls, the easier it is to keep them all up in the air.

**I am aware that classroom teachers and other school personnel have a lot to juggle as well. I do not mean to diminish the expectation on any other member of the education team.**

2 comments:

  1. You're wise to think ahead about how you will deal with the "Ms. Fix-It" hat you will no doubt be wearing next year. It happens to all of us. Even at the university, I get a steady stream of people who drop by my office for some advice about their technology. It's actually kind of fun, but can certainly be disruptive.

    Keep in mind that there is already a lot of this stuff available online. I would become really familiar with locations such as Wiki How, and also practice using search engines such as Google in increasingly sophisticated ways.
    There are also some great resources that you would need to pay for, but they aren't prohibitive for most schools. My favourite for learning how to operate software is Lynda.com -- a subscription service that has screeencast tutorials (really good ones) on just about every piece of software you can imagine. We have a subscription at the U of S, and as a student you should be able to use it.

    Also remember that you don't have to learn and teach this stuff to all of your teachers. If you can help them get in touch with the resources they need to answer their own questions, maybe you can train them over time to look for their own answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep me posted on how this goes :)
    In my current position I work with four schools, four staffs. It is hard to have a focus when small technology issues arise, how do I hook up my LCD, how do I hook-up and use my Smartboard, how can I take an entire class to the computer lab, and so on.
    I too realize the importance of all teachers and that they are busy. I also find if you know anything about technology, you tend to be the "go to" person on staff.... which is fine for the most part.
    I do wonder when the transfer happens of being (in our case) Ms. Fix It, to a technology leader, one that focuses on integrating technology into the curriculum for meaningful learning??

    ReplyDelete